Whether you want to follow instructions to build a marble run or design and create your own, our Marble Run box has all of the pieces you will need!
Who could use this?
This box could be used with Year 3 or Year 5 during your forces topics, or during a Design Technology topic, thinking about how to strengthen and reinforce structures. This box could be used as a class team building session or at a STEM club or family workshop.
Year 3 Science: Forces and magnets – compare how things move on different surfaces
Year 5 Science: Forces – explain that unsupported objects fall towards the Earth because of the force of gravity acting between the Earth and the falling object
Key Stage 2 Design Technology
- Design – generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- Make – select from and use a wider range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their functional properties and aesthetic qualities
- Evaluate – evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
- Technical knowledge – apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures
What’s in the box?
Everything in our Marble Run box is colour coded so that you can tidy it away easily and into the correct bags and boxes.
- 10 sets of marble runs with photographic instruction cards
- Plastic and wooden components
- Musical pieces
- Huge dish pieces for added challenge!
Download the complete contents list here.
Download our systems engineer challenge sheet here.
The Primary Science Teaching Trust has some additional careers links you may like to look at. These are called “A scientist just like me” and introduce children to a diverse range of scientists.