The SAM Labs Classroom Kit is the ultimate kit for your classroom, bursting with everything you need to teach a full class of 30 students. The STEAM Kit adds even more variety, enabling you to fully unleash your students’ creativity. Includes an abundance of lesson plans, a huge assortment of wireless electronic blocks and a visual, flow-based coding app for an amazing classroom experience.
Who could use this?
The SAM Labs system is designed to make it super-quick to lash together Lego or cardboard engineering contraptions which you can control and code using the incredibly slick programming system The programming system works on laptops and tablets, including iPads.
SAM Labs have a bank of lessons plans and teaching resources for Key Stage 2, covering both learning to code and STEAM-influenced design/technology learning. They also have an excellent overview of the system.
We have a classroom kit (pictured above), which has enough bits for around 10 groups of students to build and code buggies with light sensors and coloured LEDs. We also have a ‘STEAM kit’ which adds a bunch of sensors and extra motors which could be used for explorations by a STEM club.
Key Stage 2 Computing
- design, write and debug programs that accomplish specific goals, including controlling or simulating physical systems; solve problems by decomposing them into smaller parts
- use sequence, selection, and repetition in programs; work with variables and various forms of input and output
- use logical reasoning to explain how some simple algorithms work and to detect and correct errors in algorithms and programs
Key Stage 2 Design Technology
- Design: generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- Technical knowledge: apply their understanding of computing to program, monitor and control their products
What’s in the box?
- 24 x DC motor
- 11 x Light sensor
- 12 x RGB Light
- 1 x Heat Sensor
- 1 x Servo Motor
- 1 x Pressure Sensor
- 24 x Wheel
- 12 x LEGO Gear Attachment
- 12 x Roller Ball
- 12 x SAM Car Chassis
- 12 x SAM Controller
- 30 x Small LEGO Holder
- 24 x Large LEGO Holder
- 12 x Multi Micro USB Charging Cable
The Primary Science Teaching Trust has some additional careers links you may like to look at. These are called “A scientist just like me” and introduce children to a diverse range of scientists.
The downloadable power points relevant to this box are:
Computer scientist Daniel Csimszi
Artificial intelligence researcher Krishna Moorogen
Machine learning scientist Kaushik Hatti
Software engineers Edward Thompson and Rebecca Harding: