This network brings together leaders of STEM engagement from across the region, representing organisations with a keen interest in growing the technology, physical science and engineering workforce in the North East. The group’s second meeting in summer 2018 was attended by representatives from technology, finance, manufacturing, power and mechanical engineering industries; learned societies; coordinating groups; education service providers; and more. We discussed:
- Updates in research and ideas that may be useful in helping focus efforts.
- How to grow events and involve more companies.
- Challenges faced, including funding.
- Difficulties in organisation and coordination of student placements.
- Engaging more females in STEM with a hope of a culture change effect.
- NUSTEM schools’ careers resources.
For this third meeting we’re hoping to further grow the group – please forward this page to people you think may be interested!
The agenda is flexible: please send items for inclusion to email@example.com.
One agenda item will be reflections on a “Diversity in STEM” conference panel in which we participated, over the summer. In particular, we want to share some early-stage work from a division of Airbus. We think you’ll like it.