You will need: aluminium foil, one piece of black paper or card, a glass bowl, a torch, and pair of scissors.
- Fill the glass bowl with water until it is about two thirds full and set it aside.
- Cut small pieces of aluminium foil and shape them into little stars.
- Place the stars on top of the black paper or card.
- Place the glass bowl on top of the stars and turn off the lights.
- Shine the torch through the water at the stars.
- Tap the bowl and see what happens to the stars when the water moves.
When you shine light on When you shine light on aluminium while water is moving, the light travels through the water and makes the aluminium stars twinkle. Similarly, when the light from a star travels through the Earth’s atmosphere at night, the air it travels through makes it appear to twinkle.