Developed for the BGA by STEM education and outreach specialists at Northumbria University, this workshop supports the Primary National Curriculum for science.
It offers an opportunity for engineers and technicians to build links with their local communities, develop their communication skills, and make a positive contribution to children’s engineering knowledge.
A bespoke training session is available to assist BGA members in acquiring and honing the skills necessary to deliver the workshop successfully. The training includes:
- Introduction and discussion of where gears fit in the national curriculum.
- Detailed practice of the session delivery.
- Classroom management techniques to ensure the session runs smoothly.
- The practicalities of getting into schools.
- Unconscious bias and strategies for improving gender diversity in engineering.
- Advice and coaching on performance and delivery style.
- All the printed, construction and presentation materials needed to deliver theworkshop to a class of 30.
Dates & Costs
Consult the BGA for details of available training sessions and associated costs: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A full workshop leader’s pack will be handed over as part of the training. You can also download key resources here:
- BGA Primary Workshop flyer (essentially this page as a PDF!)
- BGA Primary Workshop Outline (PDF)
- BGA Primary Gears Workshop Worksheets (3Mb zip file)
- BGA Primary Gears Workshop – Powerpoint presentation (230Mb!) Note that this file includes .mp4 video, which should play in Windows 7 or above.
- BGA Primary Gears Workshop – Powerpoint presentation (WMV video). This alternate version embeds old-style Windows video, which should play in old versions of Powerpoint. Try this if you have problems with the version above.
- BGA Workshop Presentation – notes (8Mb PDF – the Powerpoint slides with accompanying presenter notes)
Files last updated: 14th June 2017. We haven’t yet had chance to fix a video playback issue, please test presentation files carefully before use in a classroom!
To deliver the workshop, you’ll need a specific set of gears which will be provided as part of the training workshop.
Log a workshop delivery
Click here for the form!
BGA Primary Workshop Delivery
Use this form to log details when you’ve delivered a BGA Primary Gears Workshop session in a school.