The Ogden Internship is sponsor by The Ogden Trust.
NUSTEM is a university group aimed at encouraging more young people, particularly females and other areas of under representation, to choose engineering, physical sciences or technology at higher education and beyond.
The project works closely with the young people themselves and also their support networks: parents/carers, teachers and families and friends to highlight the wide range of career paths and real-world applications of science, technology and engineering. To find out more about the group please visit nustem.uk
The Ogden Physics Outreach Intern will support a range of physics related outreach events for six weeks in the summer. These events are targeted mainly at secondary school students and their teachers. The intern will be supervised by the Ogden Science Officer at Northumbria University.
The Intern will be actively involved in planning and supporting delivery of activities such as the School Physicist of The Year Awards, University Physics days, as well as an industry visit.
Examples of duties will include designing and delivering a short outreach activity (with support from the NUSTEM team), data collection and processing, and designing brochures and postcards. Other duties may be assigned during the six weeks as they arise. There will be some light manual handling of resources.
The internship will take place between 10th June 2019 – 19th July 2019.
Applicants will have:
- A physics background
- Good communication skills. You should be able to explain physics/science ideas to others, and use practical resources to support your explanation.
- Familiarity with software packages such as Excel and PowerPoint
- Enthusiasm and a genuine commitment to deliver positive results to young people.
By the end of their placement, we envisage the candidate to show:
- Awareness of their science communication skills through outreach activities.
- Enhancement of presentation, data mining and creative thinking skills.
- Further understanding of the different career paths related to physics, in particular in the areas of teaching, academic research and science communication
£300 per week paid at the end of the internship.
Note that payment will be processed by the Ogden Trust pending timesheets signed by your supervisor
How to apply
To apply for the role send a short CV (maximum 4 sides A4) together with a covering letter (maximum two sides A4). Your letter should outline how you meet the skills required for the role, and why you would like to work with NUSTEM.
Please send your CV and covering letter to NUSTEM@northumbria.ac.uk
Deadline for applications: 20th of May 2019, 11 am.
Interviews will take place on the 23rd of May. We will work with shortlisted candidates to identify a suitable time or alternative date if there are clashes due to exams.