Do you want to learn how to use levers, pulleys, gears and pneumatics to manoeuvre objects more easily? This pack has the mechanisms required to allow a small force to have a great effect.
Who could use this?
The resources in the box can be used to teach the gears, pulleys and levers aspects of the Year 5 science curriculum. This box can also be used to deliver the mechanical systems aspects of the Key Stage 2 Design Technology curriculum
See also our page on levers, pulleys and gears for Ks1 and 2.
Year 5 Science: Forces – recognise that some mechanisms, including levers, pulleys and gears, allow a smaller force to have a greater effect.
Key Stage 2 Design Technology
- Design- generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- Make- select from and use a wider range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their functional properties and aesthetic qualities
- Evaluate- evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
- Technical knowledge – understand and use mechanical systems in their products [for example, gears, pulleys,
cams, levers and linkages]
What’s in the box?
- Everyday objects for sorting
- Pre-cut card levers
- Pneumatics pack
- Levers book set
- Gears class set
- Wooden pulleys
- Cam packs
Download the complete contents list here.
The Primary Science Teaching Trust has some additional careers links you may like to look at. These are called A scientist just like me and introduce children to a diverse range of scientists.