Can you change the volume and pitch of sound in a variety of ways? This box has the equipment you will need to create, measure and change sounds scientifically in your classroom.
Who could use this?
Year 4 could use this box to find patterns in the sounds that are made by tuning forks, and different lengths of boomwhacker tubes, to investigate pitch. They may use different materials in the sound boxes to investigate which provides the best insulation against sound. The sound level monitor could be used to investigate volume, and the slinkies to create a scientific model of how sound travels through different materials to your ear.
Year 4 Science: Sound
- identify how sounds are made, associating some of them with something vibrating
- recognise that vibrations from sounds travel through a medium to the ear
- find patterns between the pitch of a sound and features of the object that produced it
- find patterns between the volume of a sound and the strength of the vibrations that produced it
- recognise that sounds get fainter as the distance from the sound source increases.
What’s in the box?
- Sound Level Meter
- Tuning Forks
- Sound Muffling and Insulation box
- Wire Helix Slinky
- Model ear
Download full contents list here.