This box has everything you need to introduce the magnets topic in Science to Year 3!
Year 3 Science Magnets and Forces
- notice that some forces need contact between two objects, but magnetic forces can act at a distance
- observe how magnets attract or repel each other and attract some materials and not others
- compare and group together a variety of everyday materials on the basis of whether they are attracted to a magnet, and identify some magnetic materials
- describe magnets as having two poles
- predict whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing.
What’s in the box?
Activities to support the use of this box in school and at home
Try our magnet maze activity. Use a magnet to move an object around a maze without touching it. All you need is a magnet, a metal paper clip or washer, a piece of card or a paper plate.
This “I bet you didn’t know…” article from the Primary Science Teaching Trust explains how scientists have created sub-millimetre soft magnetic robots that can travel through small vessels inside the body.